UDTSecure Threat Advisory – ID: 1038001 – Vyaire Medical CareFusion Upgrade Utility Vulnerability
CVE Reference: CVE-2018-5457
Date: February 7th, 2018
Fix Available: Yes
Impact: A software vulnerability in Vyaire Medical’s CareFusion Upgrade Utility may allow an attacker to insert a malicious DLL on the target system and run arbitrary code.
Security Rating: HIGH
An uncontrolled search path element issue was discovered in Vyaire Medical’s CareFusion Upgrade Utility application used with Windows XP systems. A successful exploit of this vulnerability requires the local user to install a crafted DLL on the target machine. The application loads the DLL and gives the attacker access at the same privilege level as the application. Vyaire Medical has produced an update that mitigates this vulnerability.
The following versions of CareFusion Upgrade Utility, designed to upgrade compatible units to the latest software versions, are affected:
- CareFusion Upgrade Utility used with Windows XP systems, Versions 22.214.171.124 and prior versions.
Vyaire Medical is no longer supporting the CareFusion Upgrade Utility v126.96.36.199 and recommends that users upgrade to the newer Vyaire Upgrade Utility v188.8.131.52. This updated Upgrade Utility will not install on Windows XP and will require updating the underlying system to Windows 7 or later.
Vyaire Medical has released a Product Security Bulletin, available at the following URL: https://www.vyaire.com/productsecurity
The Vyaire Upgrade Utility v184.108.40.206 update is available at the following URL:
In addition, the following defensive measures should be enacted to minimize the risk of exploitation of this vulnerability:
- Do not upload and run untrusted files without verifying the integrity of the file.
- Interact with, and only obtain files, software, and software patches from trustworthy highly reputable sources.
- Ensure that employees with access to the CareFusion Upgrade Utility are fully aware of the ongoing potential for social engineering attacks and are trained to identify and avoid social engineering attacks.
- Minimize network exposure for all control system devices and/or systems, and ensure that they are not accessible from the Internet.
- Locate control system networks and remote devices behind firewalls, and isolate them from the business network.
- When remote access is required, use secure methods, such as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), recognizing that VPNs may have vulnerabilities and should be updated to the most current version available. Also recognize that VPN is only as secure as the connected devices.
Underlying Affected Products:
The affected product, CareFusion Upgrade Utility, is designed to upgrade compatible units to the latest software versions. According to Vyaire Medical, CareFusion Upgrade Utility is deployed across the Healthcare and Public Health sector. Vyaire Medical estimates these products are used primarily in the United States and Europe, with a small percentage in Asia.
CareFusion Upgrade Utility used with Windows XP systems, Versions 220.127.116.11 and prior, is affected by this vulnerability.