To Whom it May Concern: Tips and Tricks for Nailing that Job Interview
The application and interview process for a new job can be very intimidating. With resumes, cover letters, interviews, and follow ups, sometimes it can feel like too much. Making a good first impression is nerve-wracking but, with the right knowledge, it can go smoother than you think.
UDT Talent Acquisition Partner, Terri Swanson, shares tips for a successful recruitment process:
- Do your homework. Familiarize yourself with the company you are applying to. Know what they do and their target customer.
- Stay organized. If you’re applying to multiple jobs, keep track of them! You want to be confident in an interview, not confused.
- Be prepared. Make sure your resume and LinkedIn profile are accurate and organized. Be professional and come into the interview with a good attitude.
- Write a cover letter. Include what position you’re applying for and why you are a good fit. Reference your key skills and past experiences.
- Have your references handy. Prepare a references page with some trusted references that know you and your work ethic.
- Spell check and then spell check again. Typos and spelling errors are easily avoidable!
- Follow up. Sent in a resume, letter, or email? Follow up! Confirm appointments for phone and/or in-person interviews and follow up those with a “thank you” message. If you know what the next steps are, follow up in the correct time frame.
Think you have what it takes? Browse our career openings and put your newfound knowledge to the test!