These days, IT is only getting more complicated, making it even harder for companies to effectively address cybersecurity. The premise behind Managed Extended Detection and Response (or MXDR), is that security works best when all the data across an organization’s entire IT system can be correlated and analyzed as a whole.
With a MXDR-based approach, humans and machine can work together to “think and move like a hacker.” MXDR enables you to jump from one system to another across the organization’s entire IT system and see what threats pop up in real-time instead of piecemeal—this way, you can address a slew of pressing issues, including alert overload, threat prioritization, tool sprawls, and more.
In short, MXDR aims to simplify cybersecurity for businesses. But since MXDR only came into mainstream consciousness in 2018 when Palo Alto Networks’ CTO and co-founder Nir Zuk introduced it to the world, there have been many different ways people are using (and sometimes misusing) the term “XDR.”
So, for this blog, we aim to address the 9 myths around what XDR (and especially MXDR) actually is and what buyers like you should look out for when it comes to finding the right service provider.
Myth 1: “Managed XDR is Only for Large Enterprises.”
Wrong. MXDR services aren’t only reserved for large enterprises with endless resources. In fact, these services are incredibly versatile, making them a perfect fit for organizations of all sizes. Small and medium-sized businesses can reap great benefits from the robust threat detection and response capabilities that MXDR offers.
Myth 2: “Managed XDR is the Same as Traditional Antivirus.”
Nope, it’s even better. MXDR goes beyond traditional antivirus solutions. It offers advanced threat detection, behavioral analysis, and real-time monitoring, allowing it to detect and respond to sophisticated threats that traditional antivirus software might miss.
Myth 3: “Managed XDR Eliminates the Need for Human Oversight.”
Not quite. While MXDR automates threat detection and response processes, human oversight is still essential for effective remediation. Seasoned security analysts play a critical role in investigating and responding to alerts and ensuring the accuracy of threat assessments.
Myth 4: “Managed XDR Guarantees 100% Protection.”
No security solution can provide 100% protection. While MXDR significantly enhances an organization’s security posture, but it should be part of a layered security approach that includes employee training and other security measures.
Myth 5: “Managed XDR is Only for On-Premises Environments.”
Incorrect. MXDR is a versatile security solution that can secure on-premises, cloud, and hybrid environments. It adapts to the changing IT landscape, providing protection across various platforms and services.
Myth 6: “Managed XDR is Too Complex.”
Not really. In fact, MXDR services are designed to be user-friendly and are often managed by the reliable service providers, reducing complexity for the organization. They are built to provide advanced security without requiring you to have an extensive understanding of security technologies.
Myth 7: “Managed XDR is a Set-and-Forget Solution.”
It isn’t designed to be. While MXDR automates many tasks, organizations still need to proactively manage their security policies, collaborate with their provider, and stay informed about emerging threats.
Myth 8: “Managed XDR Can Only Detect Known Threats.”
Wrong. MXDR leverages threat intelligence, behavioral analysis, and AI to detect both known and unknown threats. It identifies abnormal patterns and behaviors as a whole to discover previously unseen individual threats across your entire IT landscape.
Myth 9: “Managed XDR is Not Necessary Because We Have a Firewall.”
No. While firewalls are a fundamental security component, they are not sufficient on their own. MXDR provides continuous monitoring and threat detection across multiple layers, enhancing an organization’s security measures.
Maximizing ROI with the Right Managed XDR Experts
To select the right MXDR service provider for your business, it’s crucial to look for several key characteristics, including:
- Scalability: A good MXDR provider should offer scalable solutions that can grow with your organization’s needs. As your business expands, your security needs may change, and your provider should accommodate those changes.
- Proactive Support: 24/7 proactive support is essential to quickly identify and mitigate potential threats. It’s crucial to have a dedicated team of security experts ready to investigate and resolve issues, reducing response times and minimizing potential impacts.
- Reduced Noise, Greater Visibility: Effective threat detection requires reducing alert fatigue while maintaining full coverage and actionable insights. A reliable provider correlates security incidents and provides innovative threat intelligence to enhance visibility.
- Actionable Reporting and Insights: Your MXDR provider should supply actionable reporting that supports your IT and cybersecurity decisions. Reports should cover compliance, security, posture, and operational continuity, among other things.
- Comprehensive Solutions: Leading providers offer a range of solutions that span cybersecurity, managed services, lifecycle management, and IT modernization. This comprehensive approach ensures that your organization has holistic support as it evolves.
Partner with UDT for Your Managed XDR Needs!
You need a MXDR service provider that understands your industry’s ever-evolving threat landscape and your unique requirements. If you choose UDT, you’ll enjoy:
- Scalability That Adapts to You: Just like your business, your security needs grow. UDT ensures that your security solution evolves with you, offering scalable MXDR services tailored to your organization’s size and requirements. No matter your growth, UDT keeps you secure.
- 24/7 Proactive Support: Threats don’t wait for business hours, and neither should your security team. UDT provides around-the-clock proactive support, ensuring that potential vulnerabilities are quickly identified, investigated, and resolved. Our dedicated team of certified experts is ready to protect your organization… even while you sleep.
- Enhanced Visibility with Reduced Noise: With UDT’s MXDR, you’ll experience effective threat detection without the noise. We correlate security incidents and leverage innovative threat intelligence to provide you with enhanced visibility into your IT environment, helping you focus on what truly matters.
- Actionable Insights for Informed Decisions: Our MXDR services offer actionable reporting and insights that empower you to make informed IT and cybersecurity decisions. Whether it’s compliance, security, posture, or operational continuity, UDT provides the information you need to succeed.
- Holistic IT Solutions: UDT doesn’t stop at MXDR. We offer a range of comprehensive solutions that span cybersecurity, managed services, lifecycle management, and IT modernization. Your organization can trust us as it evolves and faces new challenges.
UDT has the expertise and commitment to make your IT environment safer, more efficient, and better prepared for the future. Secure your business with UDT today.